Artificial intelligence (AI) has certainly become a game changer in many industries and areas of business, including content marketing.
AI is changing the way we live and how we do business. Along with saving you time and helping you get things done, AI is also the driving force behind processes such as your Google search results and a lot of the online advertising that you see on a daily basis.
Today, AI has become so powerful that a machine has even written a screenplay that was turned into a sci-fi film. The possibilities are endless and very soon, machines will be taking on key roles in a number of different industries.
AI’s Role in Content Marketing
How we approach content marketing is changing every year. Marketers constantly have to keep ever-changing consumer preferences, technology, and general trends top of mind if they still want to be able to reach their target audiences. So, how does artificial intelligence fit into the content marketing sphere?
In order to realize business objectives and discover how best to approach content marketing in 2018, marketers can use AI to analyze and decipher user data, which will, in turn, help them make more sense of the needs of their specific audience.
AI tools such as predictive analytics, language processing, and algorithms bring a whole new level of efficiency to the content marketing process.
[Tweet “AI can improve the creative process and increase customer satisfaction levels by helping marketers develop content that is more personalized.”]
According to an in-depth report by PWC, 72% of executives believe that AI will be the business advantage of the future.
How businesses can use artificial intelligence to enhance their content marketing strategies
AI can add value to your content marketing strategy in various different ways. We outline a few key approaches to using artificial intelligence to enhance your content.
- Automatic content generation. You may not have realized it but you’ve more than likely read countless pieces of content that were generated by a machine. Using AI to automatically generate basic, short-form content is one of the most simple ways that businesses can start using AI to address the high demand for content amongst today’s consumers. Large corporations such as Yahoo, Samsung, and Fox already use AI on a daily basis for this exact purpose.
- Custom content feeds. With the high volume of content that is shared and posted online every day, it’s no wonder that AI has taken a leading role, especially on social media platforms. Social media users are consuming over 2 hours of content every single day, all of which is highly relevant to them thanks to artificial intelligence. Instead of spending time guessing what their audience wants to see, marketers can use this incredibly powerful data to create highly-targeted content and advertising on a regular basis.
- SEO enhancement. In 2015, Google introduced RankBrain to the world, and today, it’s the third-highest signal contributing to a search-query result. What this means is that content marketers need to pay attention to the signals that they are sending out via their content in order to rank well in Google’s search results. The rise of AI in SEO means that your content needs to be natural, geared towards a specific audience, offer as much detail as possible and link to authoritative websites and sources.
- Chatbot integration. The demand for personalized online experiences is just one of the reasons why chatbots have become the norm in business. The great news is that chatbots can also be incredibly beneficial to content marketers. Chatbots have the ability to mimic conversations with customers, giving marketers valuable information on the pain points that their customers may be experiencing at each stage in the marketing and conversion funnel. This data can be used to create more relevant and engaging content that can help move customers through the conversion funnel. Chatbots can also be used to send promotional content that you know a specific user would find interesting based on their query, enhancing the conversion process even further.
- Predictive lead scoring. More and more businesses are increasing their ROI with the help of predictive analytics and lead scoring. Lead scoring is a point system that helps marketers determine where a customer is in the conversion funnel based on historical behavior. Predictive analytics will ensure that marketers know exactly which users to target with specific content in order to get them to convert.
Overall, the increasing importance of AI means that every business needs to produce high-quality content that is both engaging and relevant to their customers if they want to survive in a competitive online space. If they’re not already, the content marketing tactics that you were using a few years ago will start generating a much lower ROI than they once did, which emphasizes the importance of incorporating AI into your content marketing strategies for 2018 and beyond.
The impact of AI on content marketing
With the speedy advancement of machine learning, many marketers are starting to wonder whether there will be any need for content marketers in the future. The short answer is yes.
While AI is definitely here to stay, this doesn’t mean that content marketers will be out of jobs in the next decade.
[Tweet “The role of artificial intelligence is not to replace content marketers but rather to help them enhance their efforts.”]
AI ensures that content marketers can:
- Increase productivity. Time-consuming tasks will be a thing of the past if AI is used correctly in a content marketing environment.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of their target audiences. With the vast amount of data that’s available on today’s consumers, marketers can develop content that’s far more relevant and that will assist them in achieving their business goals.
- Provide a more personalized experience. Using AI means that marketers have the data they need to make decisions quickly, giving them the opportunity to provide customers with a more personalized brand experience.
Artificial intelligence is not an advancement to be feared but one to be embraced. AI gives businesses everywhere the opportunity to offer better customer experiences while increasing their ROI at the same time.