Finding and securing fruitful long-term influencer partnerships begins with the very first outreach email. The quality of your partnerships will be determined by the efforts you put in at the beginning of the relationship. Outreach emails aren’t one size fits all. Brands need to convince each influencer why their business is a good fit for their next collaboration. Smart brands know they are investing in influencer partnerships for the future, and are not looking for a purely transactional partnership. That’s why you need to understand what your influencers are looking for in a collaboration and be sure to personalize each message.
Influencer outreach doesn’t have to be laborious! But it is worth having a clear idea of the elements needed to craft the perfect outreach email. We’ve created a detailed breakdown of the 6 elements needed for a convincing outreach email. Plus we’ve shared some top tips to help you get that all-important yes from your chosen influencers.
- 1 Introduce your brand
- 2 Invite the influencer to collaborate with your brand
- 3 Show how your brand aligns with the influencer’s content
- 4 Make your value proposition
- 5 Emphasize the value the influencer would bring
- 6 Keep the discussion going
- 7 Get started with influencer outreach
- 8 Tips for using our free influencer outreach templates
Introduce your brand
This might seem obvious, but unless you’re Coca-Cola or Apple, it’s possible your influencers are not familiar with your brand. You should open your message with an introduction to who is contacting them, and what your brand does or sells. Keep it short and sweet and include keywords that might pique their interest in your brand and resonate with their niche. You should highlight what sets you apart. For example, if your brand creates organic beauty products or luxury fashion items.
Invite the influencer to collaborate with your brand
You should include the fact you’re inviting them to collaborate in the subject line, and in the body of the message. This helps your influencers to know straight away the purpose of the message and if they want to keep reading. You don’t need to go into too much detail, just make it clear about what kind of collaboration you’re looking for, e.g product sampling, or paid collaboration.
Show how your brand aligns with the influencer’s content
This is your opportunity to show your potential new creator why your brand would make a good fit for a brand partnership. It’s important to have a good understanding of the influencer’s niche and content style. What are they passionate about? What are the values they share through their content? These points will help you explain how their content aligns with your brand values and vice-versa. Influencers choose partnerships that will be of value to their audiences, so be sure to include what your brand can offer their audience. What problems does your product or service solve? Is there an opportunity for a giveaway or discount for their followers? This can influence a favorable answer from the creator.
Make your value proposition
At this stage, you should share information about the nature of the campaign and the compensation you’re willing to offer. Give details of whether you’re offering only products, or would like to offer a one-off payment or revenue-sharing program. Be clear about what you’re looking for in an influencer and what the expectations are. Are you asking them to create several posts, attend an event or become a brand ambassador? Sharing this information up-front tells the influencer about the type of commitment your brand is looking for and will help them make their decision. Get some ideas for your value proposition with these 4 ways to incentivize influencers.
Emphasize the value the influencer would bring
Here you should explain why you selected this influencer to be part of your next campaign. Share what you like about their work, and recognize the qualities you appreciate such as their creativity, professionalism etc. Show that you’re interested in what they are working on by referencing a recent campaign or piece of content they worked on. Influencer marketing is about making a human connection so it’s important to mention what you like beyond their performance metrics or audience size, but what makes them stand out as a top creator. This will help to lay the foundation for a strong relationship further down the line.
Keep the discussion going
Close your email by letting them know who they can contact for further information. You should also include any important final details. For example, tell them if there’s a deadline to receive their response. Don’t forget to end on a positive note that invites a favorable response!
Did you know?
Upfluence’s campaign workflow tool allows brands and agencies to contact influencers at scale by creating personalized outreach emails in bulk. To help you decide which influencers will be most open to accepting new campaigns you can check their influencer response score attributed by Upfluence. The score will let you know if they’ve replied to emails using the platform before and inform you of their average response time. This will help you optimize the time and resources spent on influencer outreach!
Get started with influencer outreach
- Read the Influencer Outreach chapter in The Ultimate Influencer Marketing Guide for additional outreach best practices, tips on influencer negotiations and a break-down of what to include in your brief.
- Download two free email templates for a product sampling, and a product sampling + payment campaign.
- Book a call with our team to see how you can manage influencer outreach and every step of your influencer campaigns from briefs, contracts, promo code generation, influencer payment and perofrmance tracking with Upfluence Workflow.
Tips for using our free influencer outreach templates
- Do your research! Have notes about each of the influencers you would like to contact – including their real name, their social media handle, which social media platform they use.
- Know what you’re willing to offer as compensation – know the payment amount you can give or the model of the products you will send.
- Decide if you want to share the campaign brief at this stage, and share it as a separate attachment.
- Personalize your email as much as possible! Use specific examples of what you like about the influencer’s work and make sure the tone of your brand comes across.